The most popular states to visit include the top tourist attractions in the U.S., lots of natural beauty, and plenty of things to do. The top 10 most visited states were calculated by over 1.5 million users of the Visited app. Visited is a travel app that allows you to mark off places you’ve been, browse top destinations, set travel goals, and see your personalized travel stats with a map of your travels.
According to Visited’s 2022 Travel Report, these are the top 10 most visited U.S. states:
- New York is the most popular state to travel to, with iconic destinations in New York City such as the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building, as well as lots of natural beauty upstate at places like Niagara Falls.
- Florida comes in second as the most visited state, with a plethora of pristine beaches and resort destinations, as well as Walt Disney World Resort, Miami, and Everglades National Park.
- California is the third most popular state to visit in the U.S. and the third largest state. California offers endless opportunities to explore natural wonders such as Joshua Tree National Park and Yosemite National Park and Golden Gate Park. The Golden State also has kid-friendly attractions like Disneyland and iconic sites in Hollywood.
- Nevada is the fourth most visited state and draws in visitors from around the world to enjoy the entertainment in Las Vegas as well as explore breathtaking canyons and natural beauty.
- New Jersey ranks as the fifth most visited state. New Jersey is conveniently located just across the Hudson River from New York City. The Garden State also has attractions including Atlantic City and its famed Boardwalk.
- Arizona attracts visitors for its stunning natural beauty, including the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, and Petrified Forest National Park.
- Pennsylvania is the seventh most visited state in the U.S. The Keystone State has many attractions, including Hersheypark, a top destination for chocolate lovers, as well as plenty of historic sites in Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love.
- Texas is the eighth most visited state and includes bustling cities such as Dallas and Houston and popular attractions like the San Antonio River Walk and Space Center Houston.
- Illinois allures tourists with the booming metropolis of Chicago, the third largest city in the U.S. The Windy City offers endless things to do, with shopping along the Magnificent Mile, outdoor spaces like Millennium Park, museums such as the Art Institute of Chicago, and more.
- Georgia is the tenth most visited state in the country. The Peach State features plenty of nightlife, shopping, dining, landmarks, and museums in the bustling city of Atlanta.
Have you been to any of the most popular states in the U.S.? Check off where you’ve been, find new dream destinations, and get a custom-printed map of your travels using the Visited app.