The most popular film festivals attract movie lovers from around the globe to see award-winning films on the silver screen while showcasing the best new talents in film. The travel app Visited calculates the most visited film festivals based on user data from over 1.5 million travelers. You can mark off festivals and places you’ve been to, set travel goals, browse top destinations, and get a custom-printed map of your travels using the Visited app.
The top 10 film festivals in the world according to Visited are:
- Cannes Film Festival is the most popular film festival in the world, attracting movie industry professionals who flock to Cannes, France, every year to preview new movies of all genres.
- Venice Film Festival is the world’s oldest film festival and is held every year in Venice, Italy. The film festival is known for showcasing creativity and is part of the Venice Biennale international art exhibition.
- Berlin Film Festival – or Berlinale – is an annual international film festival held in Berlin, Germany. Unlike many of the top film festivals, the prestigious festival is open to the public.
- Toronto Film Festival – or TIFF – is an acclaimed international film festival held in Toronto, Canada. The festival attracts over 480,000 people each year and has grown to include a permanent home for film workshops and events at the TIFF Bell Lightbox, located in Downtown Toronto.
- Sundance is an independent film festival that showcases indie films from around the world in Park City, Utah, U.S.
6. TriBeCa Festival is an annual international film festival held in New York City, U.S., each spring. The festival highlights independent and up-and-coming filmmakers who often go on to earn critical acclaim in the movie industry.
7. Cairo Film Festival is an international film festival that’s held in the Cairo Opera House every year in Egypt. The acclaimed festival is the oldest internationally accredited cultural film festival in Africa and the Middle East.
8. Hong Kong International Film Festival – or HKFF – is one of Asia’s oldest and most renowned international film festivals. The annual competitive event draws filmmakers, industry professionals, and attendees from around the world to Hong Kong each year.
9. South by Southwest – often called South By or SXSW – is an annual festival of film, music, and media in Austin, Texas, U.S. The big event is a creative bonanza that attracts innovative and diverse filmmakers as well as enthusiastic crowds.
10, Africa International Film Festival or AFRIFF is an annual film festival held in Nigeria that began in 2010. The event is usually a week long and showcases emerging filmmakers in a variety of categories, including feature films, documentaries, shorts, and animation.
Have you been to any of the top film festivals in the world? Mark off where you’ve been, browse more top travel destinations and set your travel goals using the Visited travel app.