The travel planner app Visited has ranked the most popular art museums in Italy based on over 1.76 million users. Italy is a European nation that is rich in culture and art, with great works from the Renaissance period as well as ancient Roman art and architecture. Visited allows you to browse bucket list destinations, set travel goals, track where you’ve been, see your personalized travel stats, get a custom travel map, and more.
The top art museum destinations in Italy according to Visited users are:
- The Vatican Museum is the most popular art museum to visit in Italy, and the second most popular museum in the world. Although the museum is located in Vatican City, it’s surrounded by Rome, Italy, and is an integral part of Italian culture. The museum is home to iconic art and architecture, with ancient Roman sculptures and famous Renaissance art such as the Sistine Chapel.
- Uffizi Gallery is the second most visited art museum in Italy. The museum in the historic center of Florence is a top destination for art, with an expansive collection of Italian Renaissance works.
- Accademia Gallery in Florence is famous for its collection of Florentine art, most notably Michelangelo’s sculpture of David. The gallery is the third most visited art museum in Italy.
- Castello Sforzesco is a medieval fortress in Milan that is home to art museums that are the fourth most visited in Italy. The Museum of Ancient Art includes sculptures, frescos, and art from ancient times through the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. The museum also is home to the Rondanini Pieta, the last work by Michelangelo.
- Palazzo Vecchio is a palace and the town hall of Florence, Italy. The palace overlooks the Piazza della Signoria, which has a copy of Michelangelo’s famed David statue.
- Pinacoteca Di Brera is the sixth most popular art destination in Italy. The public gallery is located in Milan and has an extensive collection of Italian paintings from the 13th to the 20th centuries.
- Pitti Palace or Palazzo Pitti is a palace complex in Florence that includes the Palatine Gallery with paintings by Italian masters such as Botticelli, Veronese, Titian, Caravaggio, and Rafael.
- Ca’ D’Oro is a palace in Venice, Italy, with iconic architecture and works of art by Venetian and Flemish painters.
Have you been to some of the most popular art museums in Italy? Want to see more top travel destinations? Wondering where to travel next? We got you covered. Select different destinations and places based on travel lists, experiences, and inspirational photos. We’ll show you which countries have the highest number of places you wish to visit. So you can go down the list and optimize your travel plans.