Get inspired by the Visited App’s Top 10 most visited art museums list. With the Visited app, you can access lists that align with your travel goals and see destinations that you must visit. Our world-traveling users are inspiring other travel enthusiasts, and these robust lists are based on the popularity of the many different places our many users have been to. Download the Visited app today on iOS or Android so you can plan and keep track of your upcoming travels and have fun checking off your travel bucket list. See how much of the world you can cover!
- 1) Louvre Museum (Paris, France) – is the most visited museum in the world, which is located in the heart of Paris, France. The museums is part of the Louvre Palace. Now it is home to a large Roman/Greek sculpture collection and the famous works such as the Mona Lisa ad Venus de Milo.
- 2) Vatican Museum (Vatican) – The museum hosts the famous Sistine Chapel where the ceiling and walls were decorated by Michelangelo. The collection was collected by the Catholic church and includes paintings and sculptures by Michelangelo, Raphael, Caravaggio, and Leonardo da Vince to name a few.
- 3) Musee d’Orsay (Paris, France) – Museum has the largest collection of impressionist and post impressionist paintings, sculptures, photography and even furniture. Famous works of art are included by Monet, Renoir, Degas, Cezanne, Gauguin and Van Gogh.
- 4) British Museum (London, England) – It is one of the largest museums of the world, which focuses to works of art and culture throughout the centuries. It is home to over 100,000 pieces of artifacts from the Egyptian civilization, 2nd largest collection outside of Egypt. There is no civilization that cannot be found in this museum.
5) Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York City, United States) – Often known as ‘the Met’, it is the largest museum in North America and has over two million works of art, architecture, artifacts and even customs! With the mission to bring art to America, they have permanent collection dating back to ancient civilization and to modern day.
6) National Gallery (London, England) – a smaller gallery compared to the British museum but holds important paintings from mid 13th centuries to 1900s. You can find works by J.M.W. Turner, Raphael, Paolo Veronese and Titan, to name a few.
7) Centre Pompidou (Paris, France) – Is the largest modern museum in the world, with a famous Stravinsky Fountain found just outside the building. Famous artists that can be found in Centre Pompidou include Kandinsky, Marcel Duchamp, Frida Kahlo, Marc Chagall and Henri Matisse.
8) Museum of Modern Art (New York City, United States) – Often referred to as MoMA is a major museum specializing in contemporary art and has collection of multi-media including film and electronic media. Works of art by Jackson Pollock, Claude Monet, Andy Warhol, Rene Magritte and Kazimir Malevich can be found here.
9) Van Gogh Museum (Amsterdam, Netherlands) – Van Gogh as the name suggests is a museum dedicated to Vincent Van Gogh. It is interesting to note that the museum is found in the Museum square in Amsterdam, however, the Rijksmuseum is only ranked 12th on the list of most visited museum which is dedicated to Dutch art.
10) Uffizi Gallery (Florence, Italy) – The most visited Italian museum holds the worlds largest collection of Italian Renaissance work of art. The art collection of the house of Medici can be seen here, with the building commissioned by Cosimo I de’Medici in order to host offices which in italian uffizi, found in the museum’s name.