The most popular unique museums in the world offer amusing, fascinating, and even macabre exhibits that continue to entertain international tourists. From Madame Tussauds wax figures to decaying mummies in Italy and a chocolate museum in Switzerland, these unique museums are the most visited in the world.
The top 10 most visited museums are ranked by the travel app Visited, which allows travelers to scratch off places they’ve been. The app also lets you browse top destinations, set travel goals, and get a custom-printed map of your travels.
The top 10 unique museums according to Visited are:
- Madame Tussauds New York is the most visited unique museum in the world, located in Times Square, New York City, U.S. The museum, founded by wax sculptor Marie Tussaud, has over 200 uncannily real-looking wax sculptures of legendary celebrities.
- Amsterdam Sex Museum or the Temple of Venus, is a sex museum located in the heart of Amsterdam, Netherlands. The museum features wax figures of Mata Hari with her male partners and Marilyn Monroe, as well as exhibits with art, photographs, and memorabilia related to sex.
- Capuchin Catacombs are burial catacombs in Palermo, Sicily, southern Italy. The macabre museum displays over 1,000 mummified, decaying corpses.
- Lindt Home of Chocolate in Zurich, Switzerland, is a chocolate lover’s dream, with a chocolate fountain, chocolate shop, an interactive chocolate tour, and the opportunity to learn chocolate making from a Lindt Master Chocolatier.
- The Torture Museum in Amsterdam, Netherlands, is a museum that documents the history of torture and exhibits torture instruments from European history, from the inquisition chair to the guillotine.
6. Cité Internationale de la Gastronomie et du Vin or International City of Gastronomy and Wine is nestled in the Burgundy wine region in Dijon, France. The center celebrates French cuisine and wine, with delectable dining options.
7. Cité de l’Architecture et du Patrimoine is a museum of architecture and monumental sculpture located in Paris, France. The museum is dedicated to architecture and urban planning and offers a magnificent view of the Eiffel Tower.
8. H.C. Andersen Hus is a museum dedicated to the author Hans Christian Andersen in Odense, Denmark, where Andersen was born.
9. Micropia is a unique museum in Amsterdam, Netherlands, that focuses on microbes and goes beyond the negative views of microbes bringing germs and disease by examining their essential functioning in human life.
10. Spam Museum is a museum in Austin, Minnesota, U.S., that showcases all things Spam. Spam is a precooked meat product made by Hormel Foods Corporation that has become iconic in pop culture.
Have you been to any of the most visited unique museums in the world? Mark off where you’ve traveled, browse more top travel lists, and get a customized map of your travels using the Visited travel app. You can also get a custom printed map of your travels using the Visited travel app.