The most popular aerospace museums in the world include hundreds of historic aircraft and educational exhibits. Whether you want to see some of the first planes flown by the Wright brothers or modern military missiles, you can explore the rich world of aviation history at these museums. The most visited museums are calculated by the travel app Visited, which allows you to scratch off places you’ve been around the world. You can set travel goals, browse more top 10 lists, and get a custom map of your travels using the Visited app.
These are the top 10 most visited aerospace museums in the world according to Visited:
- The National Museum of the U.S. Air Force is the world’s largest military aviation museum, located at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, near Dayton, Ohio, U.S. The free museum includes more than 350 aerospace vehicles and missiles and thousands of artifacts.
- Imperial War Museum Duxford is part of the Imperial War Museum in Cambridgeshire, England. The museum explores wartime history from World War I through the present day and is England’s largest aviation museum, with nearly 200 aircraft, military vehicles, artillery, and minor naval vessels.
- San Diego Air & Space Museum is an aviation and space exploration museum in San Diego, California, U.S. Exhibits feature important aircraft in history, including the Wright brothers’ planes.
- Paris Air and Space Museum – or the Musée de l’air et de l’espace in French – is a French aerospace museum located north of Paris. It is one of the first aeronautics museums in the world, dating back to 1919.
- 5. The Pima Air & Space Museum in Tucson, Arizona, U.S., includes about 400 historic aircraft, including a Wright Flyer, 787 Dreamliner, and more. The museum’s six expansive hangars include three hangars dedicated to World War II.
6. Aviation Center and Boeing Tour also called the Boeing Future of Flight is an aviation museum that offers Boeing factory tours, located at the corner of Paine Field in Mukilteo, Washington, U.S.
7. Luchtvaartmuseum Aviodrome is an aerospace museum in the Netherlands located on Lelystad Airport in Flevoland, Netherlands. The museum displays more than 100 aircraft and is conveniently located about 40 minutes from Amsterdam.
8. Central Air Force Museum is an aviation museum in Monino, Moscow Oblast, Russia, that includes the largest collection of Soviet aircraft in the world.
9. The Canada Aviation and Space Museum is the national aviation museum of Canada and is located in Ottawa, Ontario, at the Ottawa/Rockcliffe Airport. The museum includes more than 130 aircraft and artifacts and focuses on Canadian achievements.
10. Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center is part of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum’s annex at Washington Dulles International Airport in Fairfax County, Virginia, U.S. The museum features thousands of aviation and space artifacts.
Have you been to any of the most popular aerospace museums in the world? See more top travel destinations, mark off where you travel, and get a custom printed map of your travels using the Visited app.