The top 10 most popular funicular railways in the world run the gamut from city views in Paris to mountain climbs in the Australian bush, offering visitors unforgettable experiences. Funicular railways use a cable system and travel up and down steep slopes. The top 10 most visited funicular railways are calculated by the travel app Visited, which allows users to mark off destinations they’ve been to, see custom travel maps, discover new destinations, get personalized printed travel maps, and more.
- 1. Montmartre Funicular is the most popular funicular railway in the world, offering scenic trips up and down Paris’ beautiful Montmartre neighborhood. Visitors can ascend to Montmartre’s summit and see the nearby Sacre-Coeur basilica and the famous stairs of Rue Foyatier.
- 2. Bica Funicular also known as Elevador da Bica, is a funicular railway in Lisbon, Portugal, featuring picturesque views of the city’s shops, restaurants, and colorful streets. The funicular railway connects the waterfront district of Cais do Sodre and the Bairro Alto neighborhood at the top of a hill.
- 3. Budapest Castle Hill Funicular is one of the most visited funicular railways and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site located in Budapest, Hungary. The historic railway connects Adam Clark Square and the Széchenyi Chain Bridge on the lower end of the line to the breathtaking Buda Castle at the top.
- 4. Gloria Funicular, also known as Elevador da Glória, is a funicular railway in Lisbon, Portugal. The colorful ride includes street art murals along the route connecting Restauradores Square downtown to the neighborhood of Bairro Alto at the top.
5. Zermatt–Sunnegga Funicular is an underground funicular railway in Valais, Switzerland, that goes from the resort village of Zermatt up the mountain to emerge at the top, offering stunning views of the Matterhorn.
- 6. Peak Tram is a historic funicular tram through scenic Hong Kong that transports people to the upper levels of Hong Kong Island while offering beautiful views of the city skyline and harbors.
- 7. Funicular De Montjuic or Montjuïc Funicular is a popular funicular railway in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. The railway connects Barcelona Metro’s Paral·lel station with the hill of Montjuïc, where visitors can then go on to take a gondola lift to continue to the Montjuïc Castle.
- 8. Corcovado Train or the Corcovado Rack Railway is a mountain railway in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, that takes you to the top of Corcovado, which has the world-famous statue of Christ the Redeemer and offers breathtaking views of the city below.
- 9. Funicular Lavra is the oldest funicular railway in Lisbon, Portugal, that climbs to the top of Calçada do Lavra, which has picturesque views of the city.
- 10. Blue Mountain Scenic Railway, located in Sydney, Australia, is the world’s steepest railway. The mountain ride includes stunning views of the Australian bush in the Blue Mountains.
Have you been to any of the world’s most popular funicular railways? Scratch off places you’ve been, discover new destinations, see more top 10 lists, and get your personal travel map printed using the travel app Visited.