The 10 most popular hiking trails in the world offer incredible scenery, natural wonders, and historic sites that continue to enthrall travelers. If you love hiking, you’ll want to check out these 10 most visited hiking trails according to the travel app Visited.
Visited is a free travel app that allows you to create custom maps and scratch off places you’ve been as well as discover the best travel destinations in the world and set travel goals. Learn about the 10 most popular hiking trails and over 50 top hiking destinations in the Visited app. Here are the top 10 hikes around the world:
- Grand Canyon, United States has the most popular hiking trails and is one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the world. The rugged terrain and breathtaking natural beauty will inspire you as you hike on one of the many trails winding through the canyon, which has 1,218 acres of expansive park space.
- Great Wall of China is one of the Seven Wonders of the World and offers a once-in-a-lifetime hiking opportunity along the massive wall that was built almost 3,000 years ago. The hiking options are so expansive along the wall that it would take you over a year to hike the whole thing!
- Cinque Terra, Italy offers incredible views along the coast of Italy as you hike through historic seaside villages, harbors, and vineyards. The entire Cinque Terra trail takes about 6 hours to hike, but visitors enjoy savoring the experience and the inviting towns along the way, often breaking up the hike into a few days.
- Inca Trail, Peru leads to Machu Pichu and offers different scenic trail route options to get to the historic endpoint. Enjoy hiking through the lush Andes Mountains and finish at the fascinating Incan citadel of Machu Pichu.
- Trek to Petra, Jordan is an unforgettable desert hike to one of the most famous archeological sites in the world – the UNESCO World Hertigate site of Petra. You can choose your own segment of the beautiful trail winding through canyons for as much hiking as you’d like.
- Appalachian Trail, United States stretches along the whole eastern United States for over 2,190 miles of scenic hiking through mountains, valleys, forests, and more. The trail stretches from Georgia in the south to Maine in the north and takes most people 6 months to hike the whole trail.
- Camino de Santiago – also called the Way of St. James – is a network of pilgrimage routes stretching across Europe from Saint Jean Pied de Port, France, to the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela in Galicia, Spain. The picturesque hiking route includes hills, farms, and forests, and is almost 500 miles, taking about 30 days for most people to complete.
- The Narrows, United States is a stunning hike in Zion Canyon that is one of the most popular hiking trails due to the sweeping panoramic mountain, canyon, and river views, and the hike can be completed in one day (about 12 hours).
- Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania, is the highest mountain in Africa and an epic hike with sweeping views. Most people take 5 to 9 days to ascend to the peak.
- Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve, Costa Rica is a beautiful hike through the rainforests that you can do it in an afternoon.
Have you been to any of the most popular hiking trails? Scratch off where you’ve hiked and get ideas for upcoming hiking adventures with the travel app Visited. You can create custom maps, set travel goals, and discover new destinations with the app.