The most visited palaces in the UK include iconic castles in England like Buckingham Palace as well as Scotland’s Edinburgh Castle. The popular travel app Visited has ranked the most visited palaces in the UK based on over 1.75 million users. Visited allows you to plan your dream getaways, browse top destinations and travel lists, see your customized travel stats, and get a personalized map of where you’ve traveled and where you’d like to go.
The top palaces to visit in the UK include:
- Buckingham Palace is the number one palace to visit in the UK. The famous Westminster complex is owned by the British royal family and is the administrative headquarters of the monarch of the United Kingdom. The royal palace attracts tourists year-round and also hosts garden parties, receptions, and banquets. The palace features a Neoclassical architecture style inspired by ancient Greek and Roman architecture.
- The Tower of London is the second most visited palace in the UK. Located by the River Thames in central London, England, the Tower of London has the Crown Jewels of England. The historic complex has defensive walls, a moat, the White Tower, an inner ward, and an outer ward.
- Palace of Westminster, also known as the Houses of Parliament, is the third most visited palace destination in the UK.
- Edinburgh Castle is an icon of Scotland and the fourth most visited palace in the UK. Edinburgh Castle houses the Crown Jewels of Scotland and has a storied history dating back to the 12th century. The castle is one of the oldest fortified places in Europe and has many defensive features, including towers, ramparts, gatehouses, and ditches.
- Windsor Castle dates back to the 11th century. The English castle is the oldest and largest occupied castle in the world, housing England’s royal families for over 1,000 years. The castle was built by William the Conqueror.
- Hampton Court Palace is a royal palace in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames in England. The palace was once home to Henry VIII, among other royals. The palace features Tudor and Baroque architecture.
- The Palace of Holyroodhouse is the residence of the British monarch in Scotland. The palace was once home to Mary, Queen of Scots. Located in the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, the Palace of Holyroodhouse includes the Queen’s Gallery with art from the Royal Collection of the British royal family.
Have you been to some of the most visited palaces in the UK? Want to see more top travel destinations in the UK and the world? Wondering where to travel next? We got you covered. Select different destinations and places based on travel lists, experiences, and inspirational photos. We’ll show you which countries have the highest number of places you wish to visit. So you can go down the list and optimize your travel plans.