If you’re looking for the top 10 castles to visit in the world, you’ve come to the right place. From the stunning regal architecture of the Chateau de Versailles in France to the royal residence of the Prince of Monaco, this list includes the most visited castles around the world. These are the top 10 most visited castles, according to the travel app Visited.
Visited is a travel app with over one million users, and travelers can check off places they’ve visited in the app, including castles. The travel app also helps travelers map their travel goals and discover new destinations to visit around the globe.
Here are the top 10 castles to visit, according to Visited:
- Prague Castle tops the list of most visited castles, with an elaborate palace complex that dates back to the 9th century. The beautiful and expansive castle is the largest in Europe, with over 700 rooms.
- Château de Versailles or the Palace of Versailles is a grandiose castle complex outside of Paris with incredible architecture, stunning gardens, and a regal history that includes Marie Antoinette, the last Queen of France before the French Revolution.
- Edinburgh Castle is a world-renowned icon of Scotland and the number one paid-for tourist attraction in Scotland. The castle is rich in history, housing the Crown Jewels of Scotland, and includes a history that dates back to the 12th century.
- Windsor Castle is the oldest and largest occupied castle in the world, housing England’s royal families for over 1,000 years. Queen Elizabeth II currently resides in the splendid castle complex that dates back to the 11th century.
- Schonbrunn Palace is Austria’s most visited tourist attraction and features stately imperial décor amidst elegantly landscaped gardens. The UNESCO World Heritage Site housed the Habsburg monarchs.
- Neuschwanstein Castle attracts over 1.4 million visitors a year to the Bavarian cliffside castle in southwest Germany. The fairy tale-esque architecture dates back to the 19th century and includes a dramatic history touched by the Austro-Prussian War.
- Mont-Saint Michel houses an ornate abbey that towers above the small island off the coast of Normandy, France. The holy island’s history of pilgrimage is intertwined with everything at the holy site, which features medieval architecture in the abbey and monastery.
- Alhambra palace complex is nestled in Granada, Spain. The beautiful castle is one of the most famous monuments of Islamic architecture and dates back to the 12th century.
- Prince’s Palace of Monaco blends Baroque and Renaissance architecture in a remarkably regal and expansive complex that is the official residence of the Sovereign Prince of Monaco.
- The Royal Castle in Warsaw is a stately and opulent palace in Warsaw, Poland that serves as a tribute to Polish culture and imperial history.
Download the Visited app to find more castles and information on the best places to visit. With the travel app Visited, you can map your next adventure, set travel goals, and check off places you’ve been.