If you love taking the plunge for snorkeling and diving adventures, you won’t want to miss these top U.S. snorkeling and diving destinations. The list was calculated by the popular travel app Visited, which has over 1.75 million users around the world. You can check out more top travel lists, create your own dream itinerary, mark off where you’ve been, and get your personalized travel stats using the Visited app. The travel planner app also allows you to get a customized map of your travels.
The top 5 snorkeling and diving sites in the U.S.A. are:
- The Florida Keys is the most visited snorkeling and diving destination in the U.S. The string of tropical islands off the southern tip of Florida include sparkling waters, pristine beaches, and plentiful marine life. You can see tropical fish, sea turtles, stingrays, and more in the Florida Keys. Key Largo is the “dive capital of the world” with some of the most renowned dive sites.
- California has a coastline of 840 miles (1,350 km) and endless opportunities for diving and snorkeling. The state is the second most popular snorkeling and diving destination in the U.S. With crystal clear waters and a year-round warm climate, San Diego is one of the top destinations for scuba divers and snorkelers. Marine life can range from leopard sharks and sea turtles to Garibaldi and sea lions.
- Maui is the third most popular U.S. destination for scuba diving and snorkeling. The Hawaiian island has clear waters, expansive coral reefs, and boundless marine life. The diverse range of species includes spinner dolphins, octopi, rays, eels, and of course, Hawaiian sea turtles, raccoon butterflyfish, pink and blue parrotfish, black triggerfish, and the multicolor humuhumunukunukuapua’a, Hawaii’s state fish.
- Oahu is the fourth most visited U.S. dive spot. The Hawaiian island includes Hanauma Bay, one of the best snorkeling spots on the island due to the incredible variety of marine life in the area. For scuba diving, there are options to suit beginners through advanced level divers.
- Kauai has calm, clear waters for remarkable snorkeling and scuba diving. Sheraton Caverns, off Poipu, is a top diving destination on the island. The area has caverns and ledges to explore with turtles, sharks, eels, and many fish species.
Have you been to any of the top snorkeling and diving spots in the U.S.? Want to see more top bucket list destinations? Wondering where to travel next? We got you covered. Select different destinations and places based on travel lists, experiences, and inspirational photos. We’ll show you which countries have the highest number of places you wish to visit. So you can go down the list and optimize your travel plans.