If you are American, it is likely that you have been to Mexico, Canada, France, United Kingdom and maybe even Switzerland all that make up the top 10 most visited countries for US travellers. But what about the least visited countries?
All of the least travelled to countries are found in only two geographic areas Oceania and Africa.
According to the travel app, Visited which lets users keep track of all countries they have been to or wish to visit in the future, these are the top 10 least travelled to countries by Americans travelers:
- Nauru Is the least visited country in the world, not just American travellers. This tiny island is located in Oceania and has a population of just 10,000 people. The remoteness and small size makes it difficult for people to visit. The island is only 70% uninhibited due to mining of phosphates.
- Tuvalu is 2nd least visited country in the world is found between Hawaii and Australia and is a British Commonwealth. It is part of 3 Reef island and has a population of 10,000 people.
- Comoros is an archipelagic country found on the eastern coast of Africa not far from Madagascar. It is a beautiful country with beautiful forests and great snorkelling, however, the remoteness of it makes it the 3rd least visited country in the world.
- Sao Tome and Principe Is also an island country found in Central Africa off of Gabon. This volcano island offers coral formations, rainforests and beaches to the lucky few that have been here.
- Equatorial Guinea is found in Central Africa and has mainland and 5 volcanic offshore islands. The country is rich in oil however, despite its wealth, its citizens are living below poverty line. The country is also rich in wild animal sightings such as gorillas, chimpanzees, monkeys, hippos, elephants and various snakes.
- Eritrea is found in the middle east on the Red Sea near Ethiopia. The country is least visited in the whole region due to its unpopular regime which has been compared to North Korea. That is a shame as the capital city Asmara, is known for beautiful architecture from its colonial days.
- Kribati is located in the central Pacific Ocean about 2,500 miles southwest of Hawaii. It is a sinking nation with 2 of its uninhabited islands Abanuea and Tebua Tarawa going under the waves in 1999. It is predicted to be one of the first countries to disappear due to the climate crisis.
- Mauritania is not a small country in Africa, yet has been rarely visited by American travellers. Ninety percent of the country is found in the Sahara desert.
- Solomon Islands the 9th least visited country by Americans is a nation of hundreds islands in South Pacific. It has many WWII sites, including the US War Memorial which is found in Guadalcanal which honors allied soldiers.
- Gabon is the 10th least visited country for US travelers, it boarders #5 on our list Equatorial Guinea. It has a large population of 2.3 million people. It is also home to coastal plains, mountains and Savanna desert.