The travel app Visited has ranked the most visited history museums in the world based on over 1.7 international travelers. Visited allows you to mark off places you’ve been, set travel goals, get a personalized travel map, see how your travel stacks up against others, and discover top bucket list destinations.
These are the top 10 most visited history museums in the world according to Visited:
- The Tower of London is a historic castle in London that is the number one most visited history museum. The castle complex has plenty of sites to see, with the Crown Jewels, Fusiliers Museum, tower exhibits, and the Torture at the Tower exhibition.
- The British Museum is the second most visited museum. The museum, located in Bloomsbury in London, has over 2 million years of history, with a permanent collection of 8 million works.
- Vatican Museums are public museums located in Vatican City. The museums feature a large collection of art collected by popes dating back to the seventeenth century.
- The Palace of Versailles is the fourth most popular history museum in the world. The opulent palace was built by French King Louis XIV and includes the Hall of Mirrors, King’s Grand Apartments, the Museum of the History of France, and ornate gardens.
- The Acropolis Museum preserves the archaeological artifacts of the Acropolis of Athens, Greece. The museum includes more than 3,000 famous artifacts from the Athenian Acropolis.
6.Anne Frank House, located in Amsterdam in the Netherlands, is where Anne Frank’s family hid during the Nazi occupation during the Holocaust. The house tells Anne’s story based on her diaries. The museum includes quotes, film clips, photos, original items, and Anne’s diaries.
7. Rijksmuseum is a museum in Amsterdam that is dedicated to Dutch arts and history. The museum includes works by Dutch masters such as Rembrandt, Vermeer, and Van Gogh.
8. Smithsonian National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C., preserves U.S. history and includes items such as the Star-Spangled Banner, First Ladies gowns, Dorothy’s Ruby Slippers, an Alexander Graham Bell telephone, Muhammad Ali’s boxing gloves, Duke Ellington’s sheet music, and more.
9. Les Invalides or Hôtel des Invalides is a complex in the 7th arrondissement of Paris that is dedicated to the military of France. The area includes museums, mausoleums, and a hospital and retirement home for veterans.
10. Victoria and Albert Museum is the tenth most visited destination and is located in London, England. The family of museums includes art, design, and performance, with a permanent collection featuring 2.8 million objects.
Have you been to any of the most visited history museums in the world? Wondering where to travel next? We got you covered. Select different destinations and places based on travel lists, experiences, and inspirational photos. We’ll show you which countries have the highest number of places you wish to visit. So you can go down the list and optimize your travel plans.