France is the most popular country in the world to visit, according to the travel map app Visited. Visited has ranked the top art museums to see in France based on data from over 1.75 million users. Visited allows you to bookmark bucket list destinations, browse top travel lists, plan dream getaways, see your personalized travel stats, and get a custom travel map.
France is renowned for its arts and culture, and these are the most popular art museums to visit in France:
- The Louvre Museum is the number one art museum to visit in France. The iconic museum in Paris has the famous glass pyramid outside the museum and includes legendary works inside, with the Mona Lisa, the Venus de Milo, and more.
- Musee D’Orsay is the second most visited museum in France. The Beaux-Arts style museum, also located in Paris, has an extensive collection of French art, including the largest collection of Impressionist and post-Impressionist masterpieces in the world, with works by Calude Monet, Renoir, Degas, Vincent Van Gogh, and many more.
- Centre Pompidou in Paris is the third most visited art museum in France. The contemporary complex includes a massive public library, the Musée National d’Art Moderne – the largest museum for modern art in Europe, and a center for music and acoustic research.
- Musee Picasso is an art museum in Paris that includes more than 5,000 works of art by Pablo Picasso. The gallery is the fourth most visited art museum in the country.
- Musee Rodin is an art museum that primarily exhibits the works of the French sculptor Auguste Rodin. The museum has two locations, one at the Hôtel Biron in central Paris, and one just outside Paris at Rodin’s old home, the Villa des Brillants at Meudon, Hauts-de-Seine.
6. Musee Marmottan Monet is the sixth most visited art museum in France. The museum is dedicated to the French master and founder of Impressionism, Claude Monet.
7. Musee Matisse in the south of France in Nice has one of the world’s largest collections of work by the French painter and sculptor Henri Matisse.
8. Musee De L’Orangerie in Paris is the eighth most visited art museum in France. The gallery includes Impressionist and post-Impressionist paintings and is located in the popular Tuileries Garden next to the Place de la Concorde.
9. Musee D’Art et D’Histoire Du Judaïsme is the largest French museum of Jewish art and history. The museum is located in the Marais district of Paris.
10. Musée De La Tapisserie De Bayeux in Normandy is one of three museums at the Bayeux Museum. The tenth most popular museum in France features the Bayeux Tapestry, which shows the story of William, Duke of Normandy, who became King of Hastings in an intricate embroidered linen cloth.
Have you been to some of the most popular art museums in France? Wondering where to travel next? We got you covered. Select different destinations and places based on travel lists, experiences, and inspirational photos. We’ll show you which countries have the highest number of places you wish to visit. So you can go down the list and optimize your travel plans.
Picking your next travel destination just got a lot easier with the Visited App! Download the Visited app for free for iOS or Android.
Related Posts: Top 10 Art Museums in the World, Top 10 Museums of Science and Natural History