The travel app Visited has named the most visited art museums in the U.S. based on over 1.75 million app users. Visited is a travel planner app that allows you to mark off places you’ve been, browse beautiful bucket list destinations and top travel lists, and create your dream travel itinerary. You can also see your personalized travel stats and get a customized travel map in the Visited app.
These are the top 7 most popular art museums in the U.S. according to Visited:
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City is the most popular art museum to visit in the U.S. The Met is the largest art museum in the Americas and features an extensive range of art, with over 2 million works in the permanent collections.
- Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) is a modern art museum in New York City that is the second most visited art museum in the country. The museum is an influential modern art institution with almost 200,000 works of modern and contemporary art, including drawings, paintings, photography, prints, books, films, architecture, design, and electronic media.
- Smithsonian Institute is a museum and research complex located in the U.S. capital in Washington, D.C. The Smithsonian includes 21 museums, including the American Art Museum, African Art Museum, Freer Gallery of Art, Portrait Gallery, and American Indian Museum.
- The Guggenheim Museum in New York City is the fourth most visited museum in the U.S. The Guggenheim has a unique modern, curved building design, a landmark work designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. The museum includes Impressionist, Post-Impressionist, early Modern, and contemporary art.
- National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., is located on the National Mall. The national museum has no admission fee and has a large collection of paintings, drawings, prints, sculptures, photography, medals, and decorative arts from the Middle Ages to the present.
- The Art Institute of Chicago dates back to 1879 and is one of the oldest art museums in the world. The expansive museum has works by Van Gogh, Picasso, Andy Warhol, and many more.
- Philadelphia Museum of Art is the seventh most visited art museum in the U.S. The collections include over 240,000 objects with many pieces from Europe, America, and Asia.
Have you been to some of the most popular art museums in the U.S.? Wondering where to travel next? We got you covered. Select your dream destinations and places based on travel lists, experiences, and inspirational photos. We’ll show you which countries have the highest number of places you wish to visit. So you can go down the list and optimize your travel plans.