The top destinations for LGBTQ travelers in North America span the continent, from Toronto and New York City to Miami and San Diego in the southern U.S. The top 10 LGBTQ-friendly destinations are ranked by the travel app Visited, which has over 1.66 million international users. You can mark off places you’ve traveled, get a personal travel map, set travel goals, and see your travel stats using the Visited app.
These are the most popular LGBTQ destinations in North America according to Visited users:
- New York City is the most popular destination for LGBTQ tourists in North America. The Big Apple has the largest LGBTQ population in the U.S.. The city has historic sites like Stonewall and popular “gayborhoods” like Hell’s Kitchen in Midtown Manhattan and Greenwich Village in downtown Manhattan.
- Washington, DC, is the second most popular city for the LGBTQ community to visit. The U.S. capital has a diverse and welcoming LGBTQ population and popular gay bars like Larry’s Lounge, Nellie’s Sports Bar, Number Nine, Green Lantern, JR’s, and more.
- San Francisco has a long history of being a gay-friendly destination and a leader in the LGBTQ rights movement. The Bay area includes the popular Castro District, which has plenty of gay bars, LGBTQ shops, and gathering places.
- Miami is the fourth most visited destination for LGBTQ travelers in North America. The tropical city has a lively nightlife scene. The vibrant South Beach area has the largest concentration of gay-friendly businesses and hotels in Miami.
- Boston ranks fifth, drawing LGBTQ people with a supportive environment. Massachusetts was the first U.S. state to legalize same-sex marriage, and Boston is the home of the Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders (GLAD).
6. Chicago is the sixth most visited North American destination for LGBTQ travelers. The Windy City has a big annual Pride Parade and the oldest LGBTQ neighborhood in the U.S., Boystown.
7. San Diego is another California destination on the list. The LGBTQ-friendly city has gay bars and shops throughout the city, but the biggest hub is in the Hillcrest neighborhood.
8. Toronto is the leading LGBTQ destination in Canada and the eighth most visited in North America. The city’s East Village, known as “Queer East,” is on Toronto’s East end and has plenty of LGBTQ-friendly parks, bars, restaurants, and beaches.
9. Fort Lauderdale, located just an hour from Miami in Florida, is the ninth most popular LGBTQ destination. With gay-friendly beaches like Sebastian Beach and lots of LGBTQ bars in the neighborhood of Wilton Manors, Fort Lauderdale is a hotspot.
10. Hawaii is the tenth most visited destination for LGBTQ people in North America. The island state has plenty of queer-friendly beaches plus nightlife in Honolulu.
Have you been to any of the most popular LGBTQ destinations? Wondering where to travel next? We got you covered. Select different destinations and places based on travel lists, experiences, and inspirational photos. We’ll show you which countries have the highest number of places you wish to visit. So you can go down the list and optimize your travel plans.