Visited is a popular travel planner app that allows users to check off places they’ve been, browse top travel destinations, discover new places, get custom travel maps, and optimize their travel plans.
The top 10 most visited mosques in Turkey include:
- Hagia Sophia Mosque, known as the Hagia Sophia Grand Mosque, in Istanbul, Turkey, is the most-visited and oldest mosque, dating back to 537 AD.
- The Blue Mosque was built between 1609 and 1616 during the time Ahmen I ruled. The mosque is the second most-visited mosque in Turkey due to its roots in the Ottoman Empire.
- Suleymaniye Mosque was part of the Ottoman Empire when Suleyman, the longest sultan, ruled from 1520 to 1566. The mosque symbolizes a time of peace and justice under his rule.
- Eyup Sultan Mosque is significant because it has the tomb of Abu Ayyub al-Ansari, a close friend of the Islamic Prophet Muhammed during the 600s.
- The New Mosque was part of the imperial age and was the last mosque built by Sultan Mehmet III.
- Ortakoy Mosque in Istanbul offers a beautiful view of the Bosphorus Bridge and Bosphorus Straits.
- Fatih Mosque is a hilltop mosque built between 1463 and 1470 by order of Sultan Mehmed II, known as Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror. Fatih Mosque means ‘Mosque of the Conqueror.’
- Selimiye Mosque is an Ottoman imperial mosque with a prayer space and a dome ceiling held up by eight pillars.
- Kocatepe Mosque is the largest mosque in Ankara, Turkey, and can be seen all over the city due to its central location.
- Bursa Grand Mosque was built during the reign of Ottoman Sultan Bayezid I for his victory in the Battle of Nicopolis.
To learn more about the Visited app, visit https://visitedapp.com.