South Africa is renowned for its stunning and varied landscapes and wide range of African wildlife. The nation has many safari experiences through different terrains, including an incredible array of species. These are the top South African safaris, according to the travel app Visited, which has over 1.75 million users.
Here are the top safaris in South Africa according to Visited users:
- Kruger National Park is the most visited safari in South Africa. The expansive park in northeastern South Africa has hundreds of wildlife species, including the Big 5: lions, elephants, leopards, buffalos, and rhinos.
- Addo Elephant National Park is the third largest park in South Africa. The park includes more than 600 elephants, Cape buffalos, black rhinos, lions, hyenas, and several antelope species.
- Pilanesberg Game Reserve in the Bojanala region of South Africa has a unique volcano complex and many wildlife species, including lions, waterbuck, leopards, black rhinos, elephants, white rhinos, Cape buffalos, hippos, wildebeest, impala, and zebras.
- Sabi Sand Game Reserve is a group of private game reserves that shares a border with Kruger National Park. The reserve includes thousands of plant and animal species, with lions, leopards, elephants, Cape buffalos, rhinos, cheetahs, hippos, wildebeest, zebras, giraffes, hyenas, and Cape wild dogs.
- Hluhluwe-imfolozi Game Reserve is esteemed for its role in rhino conservation. The park also includes the Big 5 species and over 237,221 acres of wilderness.
- Karoo National Park is a wildlife preserve located in the Western Cape. The semi-desert area includes many species, with black rhinos, Cape mountain zebras, springbok, gemsbok (or Oryx), red hartebeest, eland, kudu, klipspringer, bat-eared foxes, black-backed jackal, ostriches, and more.
- Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park spans the Kalahari Desert in South Africa and Botswana. The park includes lions, leopards, cheetahs, hyenas, wildebeest, springbok, eland, red hartebeest, and more than 200 species of birds.
- Mountain Zebra National Park in the Eastern Cape is a nature reserve that protects the endangered Cape mountain zebra and also has black rhinos, caracal, Cape buffalo, eland, black wildebeest, red hartebeest, gemsbok, and gray rhebok.
- Augrabies Falls National Park in the Northern Cape Province includes a wide range of wildlife, including rare species such as Cape clawless, black-backed jackal, caracal, bat-eared foxes, and African wildcats.
- Mala Mala Game Reserve in the Mpumalanga province of South Africa is the country’s largest and oldest private Big 5 preserve. In addition to the Big 5, the reserve is home to cheetahs, hippos, spotted hyenas, blue wildebeest, plains zebras, South African giraffes, impala, greater kudu, sable antelope, and Cape hunting dogs.
Have you been to any of the top African safaris in South Africa? You can see more top travel lists, create your own travel map, browse and save dream destinations, and optimize your travels using the Visited app. Download Visited on iOS or Android.