The 10 most popular white water rafting destinations offer thrilling adventures for travelers seeking excitement and natural beauty. These destinations include rapids ranging from class 2 – mild – to class 5 – challenging, explosive rapids for expert rafters.
The travel app Visited calculates the most visited places based on user data from over 1.5 million international travelers. The app allows users to
These are the top 10 most popular places for white water rafting according to Visited:
- Colorado River in the western U.S. attracts adventurous travelers from all over who come to test their mettle on the rolling rapids of the scenic river that cuts through the Rocky Mountains and Grand Canyon.
- Tara River winds through Montenegro and Bosnia and Herzegovina in Europe and offers an adrenaline-fueled good time whitewater rafting through the rugged Tara River Canyon.
- Zambezi River in southeast Africa offers some of the best white water rafting in the world, with class 3 to 5 rapids for a challenge as well as tranquil spots to enjoy the incredible diversity of wildlife and landscapes along the river.
- Snake River in the U.S. Pacific Northwest offers breathtaking views and accessible white water rafting that is good for all abilities, with class 2 and 3 rapids the majority of the time and some more powerful rapids – up to class 4 – during the springtime runoff in June.
- Rio Pacuare in Costa Rica offers a tropical whitewater rafting experience that flows into the Caribbean Sea. Along the way, you’ll see a stunning array of wildlife in the rainforests and canyons of the Costa Rican countryside.
6. Neretva River flows through Bosnia and Herzegovina and Croatia in Europe and offers stunning views of the Dinaric Alps as well as class 3 rapids that are accessible for all levels.
7. White Nile is a river in Africa that’s a tributary to the Nile. The river offers thrilling white water rafting with class 4 and 5 rapids that will challenge even advanced adventurers.
8. Dobra River in Croatia has light to medium rapids (mostly class 2 and 3) for a picturesque journey through scenic forests and canyons in southern Europe.
9. Cetina River in southern Croatia offers serene whitewater rafting that is beginner-friendly and beautiful, with crystal green river water and scenic natural views.
10. The Shotover River on the South Island of New Zealand offers exciting whitewater rafting with class 3 to 5 rapids and rugged canyon views.
Have you been to any of the most popular white water rafting destinations? See more top 10 travel lists, scratch off where you’ve been, and get a custom map of your travels using the Visited app. You can also get a personalized printed map of your travels using the Visited app.