The top 10 most popular canal cruises in the world offer serene waterways with epic city views, ancient sites, and breathtaking natural beauty. This top 10 list is from the travel app Visited, which has over 1 million users who scratch off the places they’ve been, from canals to castles.
Visited is a free travel app that allows you to see a custom travel map of the countries you’ve visited, discover new destinations, and create travel goals. Download Visited for free on iOS or Android.
- Amsterdam, Netherlands is the most visited city for canal cruises. The historic Dutch city blends 17th-century Golden Age architecture with the world-famous Red Light District, and you can take it all in by boat along the storied Canal Ring District, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Seine River and Canals, Paris, France has some of the most popular canal cruises in the romantic City of Light. See the iconic Eiffel Tower and the Louvre, enjoy the city’s stunning architecture, and dine on delectable French cuisine and wine as you float down the scenic Seine River.
- New York Canals, United States draws tourists from around the world to cruise along the Hudson River and the East River, winding along Manhattan’s sleek city skyline. Enjoy views of the Statue of Liberty, Brooklyn Bridge, the Empire State Building, and more as you cruise along NYC’s waterways.
- Copenhagen, Denmark offers some of the most popular canal cruises in Europe, featuring fairy tale-esque Renaissance castles, majestic churches, and historic ships.
- Rhine River, Europe cruises transport you to medieval castles, and feature incredible natural views of mountains, forests, villages, and the Black Forest. Revel in German and French culture and history on a scenic boat tour along the Rhine River.
- 6. Danube River, Europe cruises usually begin in Budapest, Hungary, or Vienna, Austria, and wind along the picturesque Danube River, which goes through 10 countries, including Germany. These cruises feature beautiful views of medieval castles, villages steeped in culture and traditions, and plenty of top-notch wine, beer, and local cuisine.
- 7. Nile River, Egypt has some of the most popular canal cruises attracting people to the ancient history and culture of Egypt. See ancient pyramids, temples, and tombs surrounded by incredible natural beauty on a cruise down the legendary Nile River.
- 8. Niagara Gorge, Canada draws visitors to see the majestic Niagara Falls by boat, with stunning views of the waterfalls for an unforgettable experience.
- 9. Mekong River Cruises showcase some of the best sites in Asia along the river that is more than 3,000 miles long. See the lush landscapes of Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam, or enjoy the beautiful city skyline in Bangkok on the winding river.
- 10. Douro River Cruises offer an immersive way to explore Portugal and Spain, with serene natural views and delectable local wines.
Have you been to any of the most visited canal cruises? Scratch off where you’ve been, get your own printed custom travel map, and find new destinations with the Visited travel app. Download Visited for free on iOS or Android.
Other related bucket lists include: Top 10 Most Popular Lakes to Visit Around the World, Top 10 Visited Beaches Around the World and Top 10 Most Visited African Safari’s.