The world’s most popular oceans and seas offer storied histories, ample sea life, and adventure. These are the most visited oceans and seas based on users of Visited travel app. The app allows users to browse top travel destinations, create dream itineraries and map past and future travels.
The most popular oceans and seas are:
- The Mediterranean Sea is a semi-enclosed sea that stretches from the Atlantic Ocean to Asia. It is a popular tourist destination known for its charming beaches, ancient ruins, and delicious cuisine.
- The Atlantic Ocean, the second largest ocean on the planet, covers 20% of the Earth and provides most of the seafood in the world. The legendary Bermuda Triangle is also located in the Atlantic Ocean.
- The Pacific Ocean, the largest and deepest ocean on Earth, is home to the Mariana Trench, the deepest point on Earth. The Mariana Trench is so deep that if Mount Everest were at the bottom of it, the towering mountain would still be over 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) below the water’s surface.
- The Caribbean Sea offers a tropical paradise in the Western Hemisphere. The sea is home to 450 species of coral, 1,500 species of fish, and 700 species of mollusks. Tourists love jumping in and exploring crystal-clear waters, swimming with dolphins, and snorkeling among vibrant coral reefs.
- The Aegean Sea, a shimmering jewel of the Mediterranean, has been a vital artery of Greek culture for millennia. Ancient Greeks traversed its waters to connect with each other, and it provided them with a bountiful source of food.
- The North Sea, a bustling waterway between Northern European countries, is a vital artery of trade and commerce. It’s also home to diverse marine life, including dolphins, seals, and whales.
- The Gulf of Mexico, a warm and vibrant sea surrounded by North America, has a treasure trove of marine life and natural resources. It’s home to dolphins, whales, sea turtles, and countless fish species. The Gulf of Mexico is also home to many beaches and resorts.
- The Baltic Sea is the world’s largest brackish water body, meaning it is a mix of fresh and salt water. It is surrounded by nine Northern European countries. The Baltic Sea has a vital ecosystem that supports a wide variety of marine life, including fish, seals, and porpoises.
- The Red Sea, a shimmering jewel between Africa and Asia, is a place of natural wonder and biblical myth.
- The Balearic Sea, a sparkling oasis between mainland Spain and Ibiza, is a world-renowned tourist destination known for its vibrant nightlife and white sandy beaches.
Have you been to some of the most visited oceans and seas? Check out more top destinations and get inspired for your next trip with the Visited app. You can browse and save your top places to go, see your travel stats, and more with Visited. Download the Visited app for free for iOS or Android.