Love to visit Ancient Sites? Here are the top 10 most visited ancient sites in the world. For a full list, check them off interactively using the Visited App. Visited is a travel app that lets you keep track of the different countries, experiences and places you have visited. You can map your travels, check places off the list and get inspired by discover in new locations to visit. Download Visited for free on iOS or Android .
1) The Colosseum in Rome is the most visited ancient site in the world. Opened in 80 AD, it was once home to hundreds of wild animals, including lions and tigers. Nowadays, the building is used for concerts and other cultural events. And it’s not just a structure of entertainment: The Colosseum also serves as a home for some of Rome’s most famous animals. The Colosseum is also the home to about 20 lions. The largest of them, called ‘Spartacus’, was rescued from a circus in Italy and brought to Rome in 2006.
2) The Acropolis in Athens, Greece is the 2nd most visited ancient structure in the world. It is the site of several ancient Greek structures, including the Parthenon. The Parthenon is a temple dedicated to the Greek goddess Athena built between 447 and 438 BC. The Parthenon is regarded as one of the finest examples of architecture in the world. Constructed in marble, it has become one of the most recognizable landmarks on the planet simply due to its size.
3) Pompeii, Italy is found a few hours south of Rome near the coast of Naples. It was once a thriving Roman city which was destroyed by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 A.D. The site can now be visited where the ruins of streets and houses have been persevered.
4) Stonehenge, England consists of vertical standing stones each around 13 feet high and seven feet wide, and weighing around 25 tons. It is aligned to the sunrise on the summer solstice. It was believed to be constructed around 2,000 BC.
5) Athenian Agora, Greece is the 2nd most visited ancient site in Greece and 5th in the world. It is the most famous ancient Greek agora and is located Northwest of the Acropolis. Also known as a market place, Agora was a place for commercial and residential gathering place and market.
6) Chichen Itza, Mexico is one of the greatest Mayan centres of the Yucatan peninsula a short trip from Mayan Riviera beaches. Its history spans 1,000 years, with stone monuments and artistic works of Maya and Toltec civilizations. It is the most visited ancient site in the Americas.
7) The Great Pyramid at Giza is considered one of the greatest marvels of architecture. The Great Pyramid of Giza is located outside Cairo, Egypt and is the largest and oldest of all pyramids. It was built by Pharaoh Khufu as a tomb for himself, but today it houses the world’s largest and oldest collection of hieroglyphics. It is built of limestone blocks that are more than 2,300 ft (700 m) long. The Great Pyramid of Giza is one of the Seven Wonders of the World and was built between 2500 and 2450 BC.
8) Machu Picchu, Peru is the highlight of any visit to Peru. It sits high in the Andes mountains under the Urubamba River valley. There are intriguing buildings with astronomical alignments and panoramic views which will delight and astonish visitors seeking to learn the mysteries of the Inca civilization.
9) Tulum, Mexico is the 2nd most visited ancient site in Mexico followed by Chichen Itza which is located nearby. This 13th century walled Mayan is the last known Mayan city, overlooks the sea and is surrounded by the jungle.
10) Roman Baths, built during the Roman times, it was a small Roman urban settlement known as Aquae Sulis. Today is it a well preserved bath house as well as a Roman Temple.
In conclusion, ancient sites are a popular tourist destination for many reasons. They offer a glimpse into the past, and allow people to experience the culture and history of different civilizations. These locations also provide a sense of peace and tranquility, and can be a place of reflection and contemplation. Finally, ancient sites are beautiful, and their architecture and art are often awe-inspiring. To see a full list of ancient sites and how many you have visited, download the Visited App on iOS or Android