Many travelers want to go to off-the-beaten-path island nations but very few tourists ever make it there, according to the Visited travel app. The travel bucketlist app, is available to download on iOS or Android. The app lets users select where they have been or wish to travel to in the future, one of the many features available.
According to Visited’s 2022 Travel Report, the top 10 most desired destinations with the lowest ratio of travelers who get to go are:
- Tokelau is a dependent territory of New Zealand that has the highest ratio of want to been, where users are least likely to travel to but most likely to wish for. The beautiful island country includes three tropical coral atolls. The small coral islands are accessible only by boat, usually from Samoa, which takes about 24 hours. Tokelau has pristine beaches and a clear lagoon that is rich in marine life.
- Christmas Island is an Australian territory located in the Indian Ocean, south of Indonesia. The island has a wide range of stunning natural wonders and most of the island is a national park. There are sea birds, red crabs, rainforests, waterfalls, whale sharks, and spectacular coral reefs on the island.
- Cocos (Keeling) Islands have the third highest percentage of travelers who want to go but haven’t been. The islands are a remote territory of Australia located in the Indian Ocean and have two coral atolls that make up 27 tiny islands. The islands have breathtaking white sandy beaches, palm trees, lagoons, and crystal-clear waters.
- Tuvalu is an independent island nation that includes a group of nine tiny islands in the South Pacific. The beautiful tropical islands offer incredible diving and snorkeling opportunities, white sandy beaches, coconut palms, and a diverse collection of marine life.
- Nauru is a very small island country in Micronesia, northeast of Australia. The tropical island features white sandy beaches, palm trees, a coral reef, a lagoon, and coral cliffs that rise above the ocean.
- Niue is a small island country in the South Pacific Ocean with remarkable natural beauty including limestone cliffs, coral reefs, migrating whales, fossilized coral forests, and rock pools.
- Pitcairn Islands are four volcanic islands in the South Pacific Ocean that are a British Overseas Territory. The islands include a renowned marine reserve, towering cliffs, rock formations, and opportunities for hiking, scuba diving, and star-gazing in a remarkably clear sky.
- Wallis and Futuna include two island groups with three main islands in the South Pacific. The islands feature breathtaking white sandy beaches, clear turquoise waters, a volcanic lake, and opportunities for snorkeling and scuba diving in the pristine waters.
- Madagascar is an island nation in the Indian Ocean off the coast of East Africa. The large island is home to a wide variety of flora and fauna, including lemurs, chameleons, towering baobab trees, brilliant orchids, rainforests, and white, sandy beaches with palm trees.
- Antarctica is the southernmost continent on Earth and the least populated one. In contrast with the tropical destinations on this list, Antarctica has a freezing, cold climate. The continent has high elevations, the largest sheet of ice on Earth, and unique wildlife, including penguins, albatrosses, seals, and whales.
What are the top places on your travel bucket list? Maybe you have been to the destinations above and want to see your travel map? See how many countries you have been to, browse and check off places on the top travel lists, and set travel goals in the Visited app.
Download Visited for free on iOS or Android.