If you want to check out the most popular lakes in the world, the travel app Visited shows the top 10 best lakes to visit. From the stunning Lake Como surrounded by the magnificent Alps in northern Italy to the infamous Loch Ness in Scotland, this list includes the most visited lakes in the world. Most of the lakes are nestled in scenic, historic places in Europe, but there is an iconic lake in the United States that made the list as well.
The travel app Visited is an interactive way to check off places you’ve visited and map places you want to visit. Visited helps you plan your next getaway and scratch off places you’ve been. See if you have been to any of the 10 most popular lakes in the world:
- Lake Como is the third largest Italian lake and includes incredible views of the adjacent Alps in northern Italy. The lakes border the picturesque resort towns of Bellagio and Como, featuring Renaissance architecture.
- Lake Garda is the largest lake in Italy and includes pristine water and an array of water sports and family-oriented activities at the popular vacation destination.
- Lake Geneva spans the north side of the Alps, bordering Switzerland and France. The lake serves up beautiful views and world-class amenities including luxury shopping, spas, and upscale hotels.
- Lake Zurich is nestled on the southern side of the city of Zurich, Switzerland. The scenic lake offers boating, swimming, and breathtaking mountain views as well as the modern amenities of the city of Zurich right next to it.
- Lake Lucerne is a picturesque lake in central Switzerland along the Alps that borders the town of Lucerne, which includes incredible medieval architecture.
- Lake Michigan is the third largest of the five Great Lakes, bordering Michigan, Illinois, and Wisconsin. The lake includes 26 miles of shoreline along the city of Chicago, including beaches, waterfront paths, and Navy Pier.
- Lake Maggiore is an expansive lake spanning the southern side of the Alps in Italy and Switzerland. The mountain-lined lake is the largest in Switzerland and the second largest lake in Italy.
- Lake Constance is a gorgeous lake that borders Germany, Austria, and Switzerland and offers sailing, windsurfing, swimming, and serene natural views.
- Loch Ness is a large lake in Scotland and the River Ness flows from the northern end. The storied lake features stunning views and beautiful hiking along its shores as well as legendary tales of the Loch Ness Monster.
- Lake Bled is located in Slovenia in the Julian Alps and features breathtaking views and medieval history. There is a small island in the middle of the lake that includes a historic 17th-century church.
If you’ve visited any of the 10 most popular lakes around the world, you can check them off your list in the Visited app. The travel app Visited allows you to mark places you’ve been around the world, helps you plan your dream vacation and set travel goals.